Sunday, February 13, 2011

Cruisn' in the Caribbean

I just realized that I never posted anything from my cruise!! Drew and I had a fabulous time. It was definitely a much needed week-long vacation.

We began our trip in New Orleans. The day after the Rose Bowl, we made the nine-hour trip to Louisiana where we stayed a block from Bourbon Street. However, because of the Sugar Bowl, there were a TON of Arkansas and Ohio State fans. Of course, they were all being obnoxious. Anyway, Drew and I walked up and down Bourbon Street, which smells like lots of beer, and ended up at a restaurant called Oceana Grill. Our goal was to experience real Louisiana cajun food... and that's exactly what we got. The red beans and rice were AWESOME. I don't care how unhealthy they actually are for you. They were delicious and I could eat a full of pot of them every day.

After dinner, we walked down to Jackson Square, which surprisingly looks a little creepier and eerier at night than I remember it being. Anyway, it was nice being in a place that I've been so familiar with. I think that's the fifth time I've been to New Orleans. Something like that. Because we were mainly in the French Quarter, I didn't see any signs of the post-Katrina construction.

On Monday, we got up early to get to the port as early as possible. I hate waiting in long lines and crowds of people sometimes make me feel claustrophobic. Also, I have little patience for crazy antics and inefficiency. To my surprise, the lines moved fast, we got checked in quickly and we were on the boat within an hour.

Here's my view of New Orleans from the boat!


Our first day was spent at sea. It was so peaceful and relaxing. I really needed this time off of work. I enjoyed being in the middle of nowhere, no e-mails, no phone calls, no constant text messages. Drew and I spent time out on the docks, watching the sea, reading and being in complete tranquility!

Our first port of call was Progreso, off the Yucatan peninsula (not to be confused with the city of Progreso that's literally right on the Texas-Mexico border). We decided to visit a set of Mayan Ruins and this was our one excursion we chose to do. The ruins were fantastic, as always -- minus the obnoxiously annoying American tourists and their lack of respect for other cultures (I swear it was like some of these people had never taken a history class in their lives.) Drew was fascinated.



We also got to visit one the natural water springs. The spring was originally used by the Mayans as way to heal other people. All us tourists had the opportunity to go swimming... which I doubt is how the Mayans thought their sacred spring was going to be used for, ha!


We finished up at the ruins, I bought a handmade dress -- it's lovely and PURPLE! Our next port of call was in Cozumel, known for cruise stops and tourism. Although, it's interesting. There's "touristy" Cozumel and then "real" Cozumel. There's a pretty significant difference, even in just the atmosphere.



Fun side note: Kevin Carfa was also on a Carnival cruise that went to the same ports as Drew and I. We were just on different boats!


Drew and I didn't do much in Cozumel. We toured the "touristy" part of it and ate at a legit Mexican restaurant! It was a nice time.

Our next day was spent at sea and I was so sad that it was our last day on board! Our waiters in the dining room were awesome. They made us laugh and were great servers. Henry was from the Philippines and the other guy (whose name I can't spell or pronounce) was from Indonesia. Ah, I miss them.


Everything on the ship was great too. There's something to be said about the luxurious, grandeur atmosphere that cruise ship has to offer. I'm already looking forward to my next cruise. The Cruise Director, who was also the host for all of the shows, was hilarious. The adult comedy shows were hilarious and the marriage show was awkward but awesome.

Here are a few other photos of Drew and I from our trip!



And of course, the infamous towel animals! We had a zoo by the end of the week. It's one of my favorite parts about the cruises.


All in all, it was a great week! I was so sad to see it end. Our group of friends are already trying to figure out if we can all go get together to go on a cruise next year! We all know it would be a good time. :)

1 comment:

Julie said...

Kimmy! I was wondering when you would post about your cruise : ) That looks so fun! I've never been on a cruise.