Throughout the past couple of weeks, in between studying for finals and attempting to keep my stress level low, I have found time to reflect on the flaws of humanity, or so to speak. These findings have come from my observations of those around me, particularly the ones who I see the most.
I have come to the unfortunate conclusion that people today depend too much on human interaction, human connection, relationships of some sort.
This is of course my own opinion, but I cannot fathom why anyone would want to be so dependent on another human being to the point of neglecting other friendships. Of course, many are oblivious of their actions and could care less of their affects on other people. Rather, why not be a self-centered and selfish individual instead? Yes. What's the point of caring about other people? Bah, hum bug.
If you couldn't tell, I was being quite sarcastic.
I have witnessed the exact situation that I described above. To be honest, it's ridiculous.
There is also an "awkward" factor that comes into play. When two people choose to become consumed with each others' lives and have little to no regard to the people around them, it causes bundles of awkwardness for everyone around them.
Although relationships are meant to help people grow with one another, it is important to not overstep boundaries, rather to create boundaries, and to find a comfortable balance.
As I noted above, boundaries are important. What's too far? What's pushing the limit? How much space is needed, just enough to keep the two people involved from becoming clingy, but not too far to the point where the two people are distancing from one another. Unfortunately, boundaries are difficult to uphold once they are set. The quality of self-control possesses importance to this matter. The ability to have self-control shows maturity between two people and their willingness to take their relationship one day at a time.
Balance, another important quality to the success to a relationship. Of course both people have to make time to spend with one another, but they also have to make time to spend with their friends. Friendships will plunder without the time and effort that is needed to keep friendships stable and to continue their growth. In the beginning, it's understandable that a couple would want to spend every waking moment with each other, but honestly, is that really the wisest decision? At least if you spend time away from your significant other, then you'll have time to miss that other person.
Clearly, there has to be some kind of compromise. Unfortunately, not everyone understands these concepts.
Monday, December 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment